"Gem of ACCET" Dr.A.Elango,M.E.,Ph.D.
(Alumni of ACCET - 1983 Batch)
This College was started in the year 1952 by the great Philanthropist Dr.RM.AlagappaChettiar, a man of rare wisdom and forethought. In 1966, this college was taken over by the Government of Tamilnadu. Now it is an Autonomous Accredited College affiliated to Anna University, Chennai.
Dr.RM. Alagappa Chettiaronce said,“I’m a dreamer, but you will agree that dreamers are the most practical men.Without visions and dreams there is no shaping of the future and I have sufficient faith to feel that more and more of those dreams will soon be transformed into reality”
The dreams of Dr.RM.AlagappaChettiar have been transformed into reality. The Engineering College started by him has been transformed into a Research Institute now. Our college received the highest state award of “Best Engineering College in Tamilnadu” during 2008 from the Government of Tamil Nadu.
Learning is a continuous process. Academic achievements alone are not enough. You have to update your knowledge and equip yourself to keep pace with Scientific and Technological developments.
I wish to recall Issac Newton’s saying:
“If I have seen farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants”.
Students, we have provided our shoulders to you, you have the opportunity to see farther, to learn more, and to make our country the best in the World.
My sincere best wishes for each and every one of you for a productive career and satisfying life.
Brief report on the activities of the Institution during the
academic year 2016-17.
- Our College is one among the three Government Engineering Colleges in Tamilnadu who were selected to participate in the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) –Phase II by the World Bank, and has granted Rs.12.5 Crores as a three year project for scaling up of PG programmes and research activities of the institution, and we have successfully implemented the project within the project period. An additional grant of Rs. 5 Crores is allotted to few best performing institutions and I am proud to say that we are one of the recipients.
- I am proud to state that our institution has been selected for TEQIP Phase III as mentor institute to participate in twinning arrangement with mentee institute , University college of Engineering & Technology, Jharkhand State, for knowledge transfer, exchange of experience, optimizing the use of resources and developing long term strategic partnership.
- The UGC has granted fresh AUTONOMOUS status to our College for a period of 6 years from the academic year 2009-2010 onwards. The fourth autonomous batch is about to receive their Degree Certificates now. Application for extension of autonomous status has been submitted to UGC. The inspection committee will be visiting our institution on 21st and 22nd of July 2017. I am glad to mention that approval has been obtained from the State Government for the construction of a new autonomous office building at an approximate cost of Rs. 1.8 Crore and the construction is almost over.
- I am proud to say that Lateral Entry Counseling for Direct second year B.E. admission to the entire state of Tamilnadu for over 550 Engineering College is conducted by our College successfully for the past 14 years. Online submission of application was implemented for the first time, this year.
- Our State Government is kind enough to sanction a sum of 13 Crores during the financial year 2016-2017 towards the plan and non-plan expenditure of this Institution. Sophisticated equipments worth about Rs. 60 lakhs have been added to the various Labs of all Departments through this fund.
- Department of Science and Technology under the FIST scheme has granted a first installment of 55 Lakhs, out of the total grant of Rs.66 lakhs (5 Year Project) for developing infrastructure of Science and Technological facilities of the College. State of the art equipments like Shake Table, Flue gas analyzer, 10KN UTM, etc., worth Rs.52 lakhs have been procured and installed in the departments to promote research.
- Our college has been selected as a QIP center (Quality Improvement Centre) by AICTE from the academic year 2016-17. Three departments (Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics engineering) have been recognized to admit Ph.D scholars with Central Government assistance.
- “Entrepreneurship Development Cell” in our College funded by AICTE is progressing towards a new height. Motivated by the cell, few students have decided to become entrepreneurs and thus a Hollow Brick manufacturing unit has been established successfully.
- Faculty Development Programmes (FDP), workshops and special lectures in the areas of subject domain, and entrepreneur development programmes were conducted to improve the quality of Teaching Staff through which more than 200 faculty members were benefited.
- All the Faculty members and Technical staff are being sent for training to update knowledge, to other higher Engineering Institutions like IIT’s and NIT’s across the country.
- Enhancing the qualification of the faculty members is encouraged under TEQIP. This year two of our faculty members obtained doctorate, and 34 members of our college are pursuing and some of them are in the submission stage. Many faculty members also have the guiding status for Ph.D. Around 60 scholars have obtained their PhD, 20 students have submitted their thesis and 78 candidates are pursuing Ph.D under them. Around 220 research papers were published in National, International Conference proceedings and journals. Our PG students are also encouraged to participate in National and International conferences. Some of their papers are selected for publication in journals.
- Seven National level technical symposiums and four International conferences and one national conference were organized.
- Full time research scholars are given assistantship of Rs.12000 pm during their course period. Five scholars have been awarded Ph.D this year.
- About 60 P.G. students are given assistantship of Rs.6000 per month duringtheir course period.
- During April-May 2016 Final Examination, the average pass percentage was 90% and our placement percentage this year, is around 50%.Our students have also brought laurels to our college through Sports and Games. They proved themselves in various events that were conducted by the Anna University during the year 2016-2017. Our women team won gold medal in basket ball.
- Our college NSS team secured first prize (Rs.50,000) in national Young leadership programme awarded by Ministry of Youth Affairs, Government of India and Anna university. Our NSS volunteer was awarded ‘Best Volunteer’ in VISAKA – Cashless Campaign conducted by MHRD, NewDelhi.
- Our college YRC unit is honourned with ‘ Best College Unit’ award for the best performance in YRC, by Indian Red cross Society, Tamilnadu branch.
- Our Mechanical students participated in many national level competitions like EFFI CYCLE and others conducted by the Professional bodies like SAE INDIA, ISIE , etc
- Six of our students are selected and going to participate in the Foreign technical Training programme abroad which is the first of its kind arranged by Government of Tamilnadu.
- I take pride about our Alumni and would like to point a few contributions made by them. TheAlumni of this College, with their kind generosity, are donating valuable assets to this college every year to commemorate their Silver Jubilee and Golden Jubilee celebrations. PG hostel Block, TIFAC-CORE Building, Alagappa Computer Centre building ,ladies hostel, Extension of Canteen were contributed by various batches. Reverse Osmosis Water Plant of 2000 litre capacity was donated and installed by the Alumni.
- Our first Batch of Alumni rewards the Best outgoing student with 8 gram Gold Coin every year.ACCETOSA sponsors the cash award for the first and second rank holders .
- Special Training classes are conducted for III year students, to improve their soft skills and employability with the support of Alumni.
- Our alumni enhanced our placement drive, in-plant training and internships in reputed industries.
- Our Alumni also assist in enhancing the technical skill of the students by encouraging them to participate in the project competition in the name THIRAN and do online mentoring for the successful completion of the project every year.
- Our Alumni have planned an ‘OPEN AUDITORIUM’for our college at a cost of 2.2 crores. This will be taken up in a phased manner. The first phase, the stage and its annex is taken up by the silver jubilee batch 1992.
I have listed a few achievements. Still there is a long way to go.